“School is what kids do for a living — they need to experience success on the job.”
How does your child learn best? In elementary school, many children need a high level of individual attention from teachers who Understand and Honor their unique learning styles so they can Achieve. This not only provides a solid academic foundation, it allows students to discover what it feels like to develop a Passion for learning!
At Tampa Day School, families typically come to us because they feel their child is simply surviving in another learning environment, and they know they are capable of thriving.Tampa Day School is a place where students can rediscover the joy of learning. We recognize students strengths while addressing their challenges.
Our Unique Approach
We can help frustrated learners realize their full potential and help them build confidence that may have been lost elsewhere. This is accomplished through:
- Small class sizes, where every child is engaged and experiences success daily
- Schedule intentionally designed with three periods of Reading and Languages and two periods of math to build foundational skills and foster confidence
- Collaborative learning activities that help students develop positive relationships with their peers
- The lower school team brings their experience, expertise, and enthusiasm to provide a robust grade level academic program, while providing research based academic intervention for those students who struggle
- A hands-on, project-based approach which reaches a variety of learning styles and keeps young students engaged
Tailoring Education to Meet Each Child Right Where They Are
By emphasizing strengths and teaching kids to utilize the tools that they have, we foster independence and self advocacy from an early age. This all begins with seeking to Understand your child’s unique strengths and learning needs. Some of our incoming students have already received specific diagnoses such as dyslexia, ADHD, or anxiety. Others don’t fit into these categories, but still benefit from our tailored approach to education.
A few things students (and parents!) love about the TDS approach:
- Homework Lab — a designated time during the school day for students to receive help with their homework assignments
- Daily Electives: Music, Art, Performing Arts and Physical Education
- Enrichment Period — a customized course for every child that is an opportunity for them to develop key skills and receive support where they need it most
- Tutoring — one-to-one tutoring available on-site during the day for intensive remediation in reading and math
- Clubs & Athletics — numerous opportunities for students to explore their interests and develop talents in the arts, sports, and more.
- Brain Breaks- research-based breaks built into daily schedules to reduce stress and strengthen peer relations.
- 1-1 iPad for technology integration
Words from a TDS Faculty Member:
“The biggest problem your child is probably having with school is that their current teachers either don’t understand how to discern your child’s true learning style or they are not truly equipped and able to teach your child that way. At Tampa Day School, we see the exact same child and situation and see exactly what they need — and that’s what we give them. It’s not just that our long-term faculty (with an average of 14 years of service in our school) have more expertise and specialized training. That’s true, but even more importantly: each teacher has a relentless drive to meet each student where they are and help them grow, from wherever they are, right now. They see past the surface-level and get what’s really going on for each child.”
Discover more about our unique approach and program offerings.